Sunday, February 20, 2011

Perfect



Listened to the song "Perfect" by Hedley the other day (video posted above) and it dawned on me that this is what so many of us struggle with.  "Not perfect"  seems to be a constant expression in all the new music in all the genres- we're all trying to scream out loud that we are not perfect, including those in the music world.  In fact the chorus line in Hedley's song goes, "I'm not perfect, but I keep trying. Cause thats what I said I would do from the start. I'm not alive if I'm lonely, so please dont leave. Was it something I said or just my personality?"

We are either trying to measure up to someone else's idea of perfection or, worse yet in some ways, to our own.  Why do we do this to ourselves and to others?

I guess I'm wondering how come it seems we have to shout to each other, friends, family, significant others, etc.. how is it that we have to shout it out that we're not perfect?  We know that we are not perfect, yet why do we ask it of others so often if we know that?

 It concerns me a bit that we often hold the expectations that others have of us higher than those who hold them do.  Its one thing to keep trying, to keep expecting yourself to be a better person and to hold yourself accountable- that's a healthy choice of living, but to allow your own or others expectations of yourself to leave you feeling as though you'll never amount to anything, that you can't be better- that's when its wrong. 

If I ever had one thing to say to anyone is this: Just be yourself, love yourself and keep dreaming. Achieving your dreams never required perfection- it just requires believing you'll get there and doing all you can to make those dreams of yours come alive.  The world was founded on imagination, nothing it has in it became real until it was first dreamed of by someone.

We are all human- we were born to be imperfect,  that's what makes us beautiful I think :)

These are just some thoughts of mine. Have a great start to your week everyone!  and here's the video clip of the new song "F**kin' Perfect" by Pink- its a song that says exactly what I'd say to several of my closest friends, who in their own ways are Perfect to me and I love them all the more for it.

2 comments:

Shadow said...

is perfection ever achieved???? don't think so. and besides, i think the path to (non)perfection is what living is all about, experiencing it all, feeling, being and having fun in the process. after all, once perfection is achieved, what then....

Opaque said...

Perfection is subjective and therefore subjected to change. Once you achieve something you set the bars a tad higher to achieve. In the end, perfection is not achieved at all. Even if it is, it is only for a moment which most fail to cherish as they do not understand the word contentment.