Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Where I Want To Be

I have been on a remarkable journey these last few years of self discovery, self reflection, self forgiveness, self love, and most importantly the forgiveness and love of others..despite anything said or done to my own harm.  I had not realized that these were the things I've been searching for, longing for in my life.  I am finding that as I grow as a human being, I am becoming a better and more compassionate being.  Below is a poem I've recently written and a few quotes that I find to be extremely wise, insightful, and worth carrying in our pockets to remind us everyday of how we should carry ourselves....



Photo of my hands holding a daisy, taken and owned by Triana Evans.

Where I Want To Be   by April Gerard


My life is taking a new direction.
It's beautiful.
It's scary.
But I'm willing to walk it
because
it's better than where I've been.
It has all that I will ever need.
And, it makes use
of every talent
every dream.
Every seed of hope
that I've ever sown
and continue to sow
brings
Love of Life,
Forgiveness of others,
enduring Joys,
and peace of mind.
This road is where I want to be,
even with it's tears,
the lessons learned, and those
to be learned- This is where I want to be.



 "to forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that that prisoner was you."- Lewis B. Smedes

"Life is easier than you'd think; all that is necessary is to accept the impossible, do without the indispensable, and bear the intolerable." - Kathleen Norris

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?'

Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of the universe; your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so other people won't feel insecure around you. We are born to make manifest the glory of all that's within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone.

And as we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others" - Nelson Mandela

3 comments:

Opaque said...

Good quotes...

You see, this journey, this direction, in particular is the right one for you. But, do not forget all the struggles that we can call experience that you've gone through to reach this phase of life. Being grateful to the past that has taught you so much, that now, you have finally reached the right path.

The possible hindrances that were once there are fading away because of the choices you've made. That should make you proud of yourself.

This process of self-discovery, and self-reflection is a very rocky road that is often times lit quite poorly. So, it takes an in-depth analysis which is a result of tolerance and patience. But, the result of all those possible tears is that you, now understand yourself better. And, that is exactly what matters the most.

Now, you can stand tall and defend yourself bravely rather than being subjected to lay down under someone elses' scanner. This is the power of discovery. This reduces the future potential of being hurt because you know the real you very well now.

You can only be where you want to be by believing in yourself. Belief precedes initiatives. Once you do not wholeheartedly believe in something, you put yourself in a position below your capability.

Before all of this, you need to believe. You can believe only when you explore with openness. Then, you come in terms with it. And, then you know yourself better.

I do this every single day. It hurts, it makes me smile, and there is this mixed bag of emotions. But, it is never ever unhealthy.

But, this is not alone enough. After you've discovered yourself, you need to work on the patches. Improve yourself.

To work on yourself, you need to love yourself and believe that you can change/improve for the good. Believe -> Action.

As you mentioned, "becoming a better and more compassionate human being" IS GROWTH.

After all, life is not about discovering yourself, it is about creating yourself.

I am happy for you April!

Rick said...

Just beautiful, April
no one does forgiveness better than you
~rick

Syd said...

Great poem and wonderful quotes. I think that finding out who I am and what I am capable of, both good and bad, was a remarkable thing. And I am still seeking and learning.