Thursday, January 7, 2010

Perfect Sweet

I've got Long December stuck in my head and images of the past floating alongside it, mixed with visions of what my future might hold. I can actually hear Adam Duritz sing these words of mine in my head...hope that doesn't make me crazy :-)


Perfect Sweet (a Poem/Song inspired by the song "Long December" by the Counting Crows)

Where did it go
when I said I'd take it slow,
when began to beat my heart so very fast?
It took a breath, and took me in
without me knowing where to send
all these thoughts of mine
that take me to your face.

I look behind
I see a sky and empty words that
make me say these very things
are what I should not be chasing
as I try.
Try to catch it, try to make it stay
in this heart's room filled with colors;

though sometimes its like a blue gray smoke
against a blackened night.


Seems to me there is
something in the in-between
that makes you shake and makes you shiver
down a road that took a hard look at my past.
A candle light is waiting at my fingertips
if I can hold on long enough..

enough to see it shine.

I wonder if you ever understood
the need that pulses through
the air in solitary movements
touching light against a dark
that climbed inside of me
and took me home to a place
where balance is perfect sweet.




Jan. 8, 2010 edit: somehow this post ended up on the wrong date, even though I didn't start writing it until yesterday afternoon... **sigh**

4 comments:

Brosreview said...

Hmm, it is interesting you put poem/song. As I read this, I thought of it like a poem, but then, I could hear the instruments playing and I heard this more as a song.

This one is quite carefully written. I reckon you were going by the song so that each line suited its tune. I may be wrong, but I have a hunch.

There are far too many phrases that I love here. It is just very well written.

I reckon you could hold on to it long enough as your hands are not the only one holding the candle. Your hands are in another's hands and you are both treasuring the light.

I am sure the balance is getting "perfect sweet".

Very nicely written! Keep at it!!!

Strawberry Girl said...

Yes as Ajey said, it is very well crafted (well he said carefully written but it's the same difference...) the flow of the versus are excellent, I love this piece!!

Rick said...

April- for some reason I was hearing sting sing it as I read it. It sounded good. hope that's ok. I really like it.~rick

findingmywingsinlife said...

Brosreview,
yes, I was going by the song, literally. There is a lot of hidden meanings in this one. I actually have a part two to this one that I didn't post and I'm thinking perhaps I should.

strawberry Girl,
Wonderful! I'm glad you like it. This is one of my favorite pieces I've written to date.

Rick,
Haha. I could see Sting sing it too. Both bands sometimes have a really good feel for grasping that melancholy sound of which this post should have.