Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Dead

Back in April of this year, I wrote this poem for Double Dolphin. I challenged myself to make a poem out of this one line that was on one of DD"s posts that was entitled "The Dead are an Ocean tide, reaching out to the living." I shared it with him on his blog, but did not share it here.

In case you haven't noticed, I've been sharing different poems each day that I've written for other people. I do hope you each have enjoyed them.

The Dead

The Dead are
an Ocean tide,
Reaching out
to the living.
The heavyness
of the waves
fill our bones
with the chills
of words
lost or forgotten,
better left unseen
and unheard.
For are we all
not in some way,
dead, when we
choose to hide
ourselves away
from the world,
lest someone see
what's inside of
Us.

9 comments:

dianne said...

Very powerful poem...beautiful.
I think we all hide a little of ourselves away so as not to show the hurt we feel...we keep it hidden hoping no-one will notice. ♡

~Ellie Kings~ said...

I agree... very powerful! I think when we bury our gifts, the passions of our lives, we lose a part of who we are and feel a little 'dead'. Enjoyed this poem, very thought-provoking.

Shadow said...

a lifeless dead, yes. go out an life! this is outstanding!!!

Syd said...

I think that we each hide a bit ourselves away from the world. Sometimes it's just too painful to lay it all out there.

The Write Girl said...

What imagery in this piece and nicely executed. This poem takes a twist at the end which I like very much. Nicely done.

Spellbound said...

I love the concept of death on the tide. I think I could write something about that too. Humm...

BloggerMouth said...

Even if you wouldn't have mentioned brosreviews here, I could have SO figured it out. Great song for a great poet.

Deedee said...

Good imagery, April. We all have parts of ourselves that we try to "kill", to avoid the pain.

Brosreview said...

This is very strong! Nicely done!