Monday, September 7, 2009

My weekend with the Kids

Currently listening to: Save Me & The Space Between by the Dave Matthews Band

the latter song I'm listening to happens to be my favorite song by them.

Sooo, about my weekend:


Yesterday I tried valiantly to forget all my troubles. I took my children to see my mother, rode my brother's 4-wheeler and remembered the feel of cool air whooshing past my face. I was reminded of my own vow to learn to ride a motorcycle all on my own (to which my brother replied he could get me a little ninja 600 to start out on and my mother nearly fainted then yelled, "you want to ride on a motorcycle after all those accidents you hear about?" she looked so disgusted it was hard not to laugh at her. I think she forgot I'm 30 (last I checked I'm still a big girl raising 3 kids, trying hard not to tell the world of the mess her current personal life is in.)



Did I mention that my family is a bit of daredevils? No wonder my kids give me heart attacks when they start climbing things.



I gave each of the kids a turn at riding on the 4-wheeler with me. My youngest smiled sheepishly while holding on for dear life, not wanting to admit her timidness at riding on it and exclaimed herself to be a "big girl". My middle child and only son, giggled with delight but exclaimed that "Uncle Eddie does it better than you Mom." He's 4, so what does he know right??? And my oldest, laughed hysterically, whooted with delight when we'd hit a bump in the field and screamed, "Go faster Mom, go faster!" I swear somedays she found my streak for fast cars and moving vehicles and hence is going to make me so nervous watching her try to..oh wait, let's not think about her behind a wheel yet- I'm still getting used to the fact that she's turning 10 here soon!



I've been reading the "In Me" series by Kathleen O'Neil Gear off and on throughout the weekend, they are really good. And while I was in Barnes & Noble last night looking for the last book in the series, I ran across a different book I want to read when I have the time to sit and absorb it. It is called The Boy Next Door by Irene Sabatini.

All in all, the weekend wasn't too bad. There were some events that I'll have to deal with later, but for now I'll keep yesterday tucked into the memory files to be pulled out later. Kids are the one joy in life you can't help but smile at.

6 comments:

wordsonwater said...

So sleepy and had a long weekend. Blogging is on the back burner but just wanted you to know you're on my mind. If you are in DC in December I will come and see you. I'm 100 miles away and my daughter lives there. She will be great with child by that time and I imagine I will make a few trips. Hope for good weather.

Shadow said...

kids and speed... that's what causes mom's to decend into a world of drugs and bad men. just kiddin!!!!!!

Double-Dolphin said...

My favorite DMB songs are Gravedigger and Bartender. Great band.

Sounds like you had fun. What's a four wheeler? Is that like a quad-bike?

findingmywingsinlife said...

wordsonwater,
Ok, that will be awesome. Now on to an important question.... where did your other blog go??????

Shadow,
hehe, I sure hope not! :)

Double-Dolphin,
I did have fun! Oh, and I added a pic to the post so you'd know what a 4-wheeler was. I assume that yes, it is a quad bike as you call it.

Syd said...

I had a great weekend too. Glad that you have the adventuresome spirit.

findingmywingsinlife said...

Syd,
yeah, I do like to be adventuresome every now and then. Glad you had a good weekend as well.