Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Short Story

I'm in the mood to write a very short story. And while I'm typing this I'm going to listen to random music, starting with Mr. Bo Jangles. I haven't listened to that song in forever it seems, sorry for the video quality- I couldn't find a really good one on you tube. Then I think I'll listen to some Billy Joel or some other older music that I've been neglecting to listen too in a while. Enjoy my short prose below, or at least attempt to and I'll see you each later tomorrow maybe.

The Woman

The Woman looked around and stared.

This would soon be her new home, if only she'd sign on the dotted line. The view out of the too small to seriously be called a living room, was at best- a mere look onto pavement colored with the litter of cars parked out front and a vacant play area across the way. She opened the glass sliding door and stepped out onto the balcony.

From a distance, the balcony didn't look bad. But up close it was too much. Too much old paint chipping away from the wood. Too much dust and dirt making its permanent stain in the cracks and crevices and everywhere wood met with wood. Too much barrenness. She supposed a person could spruce it up with some plant life, maybe a small table and chair to match. She turned around and looked back in the living area, annoyed that the rental property manager didn't know how to leave a person be when making a decision. She tried her best to be politely quiet, hold her own tongue, as the manager wagged her tongue about how it would be a perfect place to start over.

She sighed inwardly, pissed at herself for answering the question about why she needed a place to begin with. Her gaze averted over to the unreal fireplace built into the wall, as if that made up for the lack of room. Less than 400 sq foot of living space- that was about what she guessed it to be. The kitchen was sadly situated, with the washer and dryer adjacently tucked into a small cubbyhole. Who in their right mind designed this place she wondered? She had never heard of laundry in the kitchen and where did they think you'd put all the clothes that needed washed, let alone fold the ones that needed put away?

She heard the annoying voice again, something about how it was all new carpet and vinyl flooring. Yeah well you all forgot about these damn appliances she thought, as she looked on the ancient electric stove that she guessed was from the early 80's era. The washer and dryer had the same problem.

What would she do with all her stuff? No closet space to speak of, barely any walls to hang family memories on, and a bathroom/bedroom number that made one shudder at the thought of trying to cram a dresser and twin bed in it. Of course, that would imply she had a bed to call her own and she knew the answer to that. The small couch she owned would have to do. Its just as well, she didn't really want to fight over a damn bed. It would've been more grief than it was worth.

She again tried to focus on the manager's voice, "So what do you think? You know I think I can get them to go down to $500 a month. That's a bargain you know. You could really do alot with this place, I mean you even have vaulted ceilings, your own private stairway entrance, lots of possibilities really."

Don't kill the sale lady. Didn't anyone ever teach you how to sell something to someone. The woman again sighed inwardly. It wouldn't do any good to try to voice her thoughts here. Besides, she noticed her sudden fascination with cuss words in her thoughts lately. She decided she needed time to think.

She looked around once more, headed down the stairway and out the door. The lady trailed after her and rattled on about how she could take all the time she needed. Here was her card she said, call me when you're ready to move in she said. I know you're going through a rough spot right now she said. Everything will be just FINE she had said.

The woman just shook the manager's hand politely...all the while thinking "Fuck you lady. Fuck you. What in the hell gives you the right to think you know that all about my shit." and the Woman walked away without so much as a look back. There'd be other places to rent. Damn lady.

4 comments:

pilgrimchick said...

Good of you to take advantage of the inspiration when it hit. Great story.

Spellbound said...

You have such a nice way with a story. It reminded me of a realtor I met while apartment shopping years ago. It was advertised as a three room apartment, but as we stood inside the front door in a space smaller than the closet I had shared with the husband I was leaving behind, she stopped and started a practiced speech. "and this is your living room," she began. I was claustrophobic standing there with only her in a space too small to put a arm chair. I don't remember much about the rest of what she said as we walked around what was essentially a bedroom with a bath and an alcove with a hot plate. I just recall thinking she needed to get an honest job.

BloggerMouth said...

If I'd be that woman, I'd have spoken those thoughts to the manager out loud. Blog-hopped my way here. First time. Cool blog, keep writing!

PS: You're going on my blogroll. I hope you don't mind but if you do, please let me know.

findingmywingsinlife said...

Pilgrimchick,
Wonderful to see you on here again, thank you for the kind thought!

Spellbound,
So do you! I agree that was a bit of the feeling I was after in this story.

Bloggermouth,
Thank you for both your kind words and for placing me on your blogroll!