Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Always these songs remind me

The internet connection is down at the office today, so I get to spend most of my time here at the local coffee shop, Brewha, to get some of my work done. The radio here is playing older music from back in the 80's- one of them is Joey by Concrete Blonde.

Of course yesterday a more modern song was stuck in my head. Made me think of some things I suppose, it was Leave Out All the Rest by Linkin Park.

And as songs usually do with me, I started thinking of other songs that have left some type of impression on me such as I'll Stand by You by the Pretenders which accurately depicts my sorrows for those I've known who have already left this world by their own hands or those who've threatened to do so. Then when I read Rikkij's post yesterday, I was reminded of this song called Always on your side by Sheryl Crow and Sting.

They say that your sense of smell is the most potent and that it will trigger memories brought on by those smells that were a part of the memory- but for me, songs are that way.

For instance, Cyndi's Lauper's song Sally's Pigeons reminds me of Triana and I's long standing friendship, though we never met until her freshman year of high school. Just last night we were talking about our differences- especially our choices in who we've dated and so forth throughout our lives. Our conversation reminded me of the songs I believe and I Wanna Be There by Blessid Union of Souls. I had developed a serious crush on Eliot Sloan, their lead singer, when those songs came out back in my high school days. Then there's the song You Found Me by The Fray that reminds me of my vow to myself to make sure my telephone is available to any and all friends, no matter the time of day or night if they need someone to talk to. If they need Someone to listen.

And you know, I love this duet by Ray Charles and Billy Joel. There's something about music's ability to bring people together that makes me smile.

Its funny the things your mind gets to thinking about. I meant to post about something else, but music's not a bad thing to post about and neither are memories. Besides, I think I like the connection these songs make.

And with that I'll leave you with this song by Good Charlotte, We Believe.

5 comments:

Triana said...

I get the post, I don't get the reason for the email in regards to the post. You will have to explain this to me...

Shadow said...

the power of music... it moves the soul and takes the mind on memory trip. love it! now, i need to go talk to my boss about working from a coffee shop, heee heee heeee

Rikkij said...

April- thanks for the mention. Good tunes! Chrissie doin Stand by you is as good as it gets! Just played it yesterday. Take care~rick

Cherie/ Butterfly Dreamer said...

There is power in music and I agree with you that music triggers deep memories for me as well.

findingmywingsinlife said...

Triana,
I hope that I have since been able to explain the email to you. If not, I'm sure we will have plenty of opportunity to share our thoughts the next time we get together.

Shadow,
Hee heee heeee. Glad you enjoyed the post.

Rikkij,
Your welcome, always enjoy reading your posts rick. You have a unique way of looking at things and much to teach us each with your point of view. I happen to love Stand by you, but my dear friend Triana doesn't much care for that song..I secretly think she's crazy for that ;)

Cherie,
Lovely to see you here and glad that music does the same for you as it does for me.