Sunday, July 19, 2009

All kinds of Weather for the Soul

My mind is in a strange place today I think. I did have a wonderful conversation with a very good friend last night, maybe that's what my mind is thinking over. On second thought, I think its that conversation and a host of past conversations with other people in the past.

I'm not sure I know the words on how to put my thoughts together. Its like strange memories but not quite memories, vaguely in front of me mixed with thoughts and ponderings on life. Almost like a hazy picture etched out in fog. And strangely enough, I'm hearing a series of songs on the radio here in the coffee shop that seem to echo my thoughts.

Songs like "Name" by the GooGoo Dolls or Nickelback's "If Everyone Cared" seem to strike a chord with me.

Going in a different direction here in my thoughts, but I suppose it doesn't help its been a dreary sort of day with spurts of rain and children with demanding tempers or all outright disobedience- all done with a smile and giggle planted firmly in their tiny beings.

Its amazing what my kids accomplished today, and looking back on it I suppose they've taught me that cleaning things doesn't have to be all work and no play. You see, they soaked each other with the hose after being told it wasn't quite warm enough out today for it. They broke a piece of furniture in which I was thankful that nothing more than their pride was hurt in all the screaming (and it is simple to fix so no real harm done other than my near loss of hair), my son soaked my bathroom with water and soap- the bright side of that is that my huge mirror in there has never looked cleaner, nor has the countertop after I cleaned up the mess with him taking his time out on the small bench beside my couch.

I'm beginning to think Sundays are just meant for kids to let their hair down and for moms to be pulling theirs out. All in all, it really wasn't that bad of day- just my mood out of sorts. Maybe all this stuff going on in my life is catching up with me??? I don't know yet. All I know is that even though the kids were quite the handful today, I still can't help but love them. I suppose that's the most beautiful phenomenon that seems to occur in the parent/child relationship. And, its definitely the one thing in life worth having.

Well that's it for me and my ramblings tonight. Raining out or not, I'm going to get a walk in tonight. Besides, its not just sunshine that's good for the soul- sometimes its other kinds of weather that is needed.

3 comments:

Rikkij said...

Hi, April- sounds like a typical Sunday for mom. all in all, not so bad after saturday friends. ~rick

Brosreview said...

I enjoyed reading this piece!

findingmywingsinlife said...

Rikkij,
I suppose so, but man it seemed so frustrating in the moment!

Brosreview,
You probably got a good chuckle out of it, as I did when I re-read it this morning!