Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Songs get you to thinking, at least they do for me anyway

"And when the sun descended and the night arose
I heard my father cursing everyone he knows
He was dangerous and drunk and defeated
And corroded by failure and envy and hate
There were endless winters and the dreams would freeze
Nowhere to hide and no leaves on the trees
And my father's eyes were blank
As he hit me again and again and again
I know I still believe he'd never let me leave,
I had to run away alone
So many threats and fears, so many wasted years
Before my life became my own
And though the nightmares should be over
Some of the terrors are still intact
I'll hear that ugly coarse and violent voice
And then he grabs me from behind
And then he pulls me back

But it was long ago and it was far away,
Oh God it seems so very far
And if life is just a highway,
Then the soul is just a car
And objects in the rear view mirror
May appear closer than they are
And objects in the rear view mirror
May appear closer than they are
And objects in the rear view mirror
May appear closer than they are
And objects in the rear view mirror
May appear closer than they are."

Lyrics from Meatloaf's "Objects in the Rearview Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are"

I was listening to this song today and I felt a bit of irony in it. Aside from the childhood memories that it brought to mind, it also got me to thinking about life in general. There are so many things we each find hard to let go of, holding close to ourselves not only our percieved need- but also our fears. Fears of not being good enough, fears of failing, fears filled with empty promises remembered and overgrown paths that we once had forsaken.

You know, I think..I think that maybe the one thing I truly fear, is fear itself. But I've learned over the years fear immobilizes you if you let it. It can also teach you things about yourself, and if you're willing to face it (the fear) it will help you become a better, stronger, and wiser person.

Sometimes things you think are close to you, really aren't, but they can stir up feelings unlike anything else.

There is another song that I listened to today by Clear Grey, a local band from Michigan. The song is called Better off Gone and its the ending lyrics and how he sings them in a distant, emotional, almost whispery tone that sums up how I feel about our choice to hate or love:

"I fill my heart with lead,
your better off gone,
oh no, Oh yeah,
you might be better off dead.

I fill my heart with Love instead,
and your mine babe,
and you might be
Shaking, shivering."

Just sharing some of my random thoughts tonight. The weeks I travel around the state I tend to have a lot of time to listen to music and think out things. Have a good night friends, see you sometime tomorrow.

6 comments:

Brosreview said...

Bear with me, but I did not expect you to quote a Meatloaf song after revealing that it got you thinking. You know how most part of the world wrote them off to being noisy and pointless.

It is very nice to find someone who actually went pass their singing and music style to actually focusing on their lyrics. Good on you!!!

Thanks for sharing this!

Natalie said...

Meatloaf and David Gray lover here.

I am sorry April Re: your last two posts.
Honest people can't help but hope that there are others like us, out there.
They are there. I can personally vouch for about ten.They are precious and rare, if you find one, treat them like the gem they are.xx♥

Shadow said...

hardly random... you always have a pearl of wisdom in your posts. today is no exception.

Rikkij said...

April-me bein an old parrot head, this made me think of the Juimmy Buffet lyric "livin my life like a song" (from "the wino and I know"-i think) I have always been in love with music and lyrics and one song can change my mood, attitude and entire day. Don't know what I'd do without em. I love meatloaf but pretty sure he had issues. you know, like us. Nice post. ~rick

findingmywingsinlife said...

Brosreview,
its quite alright to get excited every now and then ;)
I actually went to a Meatloaf concert in Indianapolis just before my Senior year of High school. My mom and stepdad were on vacation, my brother and sister staying with friends, and I was in charge of making sure the horses were taken care of and such...when a friend gave me 8 tickets for free- I rounded up friends that day and headed down to there to see them.

Natalie,
I never lose hope Natalie, I never lose hope.

Shadow,
Thank you, though I'm not entirely sure I'm one to be called "wise", but I appreciate knowing others think so.

findingmywingsinlife said...

Rikkij,
Yeah, we all have some issues floating around somewhere don't we.. but uh, I wonder if "Juimmy" would like the new name you just gave him ;) (just giving you a hard time you know)