Monday, June 15, 2009

Need

You know, I often think about how we tend to say to ourselves, "if one good thing happened in this world, why not this for me?" And I've even caught myself thinking it, thinking all I need is just this one thing and I'll be ok. But, truly isn't that the most selfish thing we can ask? Follow my logic here if you will:

If only my one good thing for me happens, what then happened to the 10 good things that could have happened for many other people? And what makes me think that I'm so much different from the rest of the world that I deserve something more than what others get?

A while back, a friend of mine said to me some things that really caught my brains attention. You see my selfish "one good thing for me" revolves around a personal issue and it is a want that i find hard to dispell sometimes. The friend was trying to tell me that I didn't need anyone else's affirmation that I was worth something- other than my own. And truthfully, down right out and out- I know that they are right.

But, like every other person out there wishing to find consolation on trying days, just once I'd like to know someone who understood why i do the things I do. Why others means so much to me and drives me to do as much as I can in one day, each day.

But I think that kind of understanding is a fairy tale living on another planet, because I'm not sure it exists here on Earth.

Thank you guys, my blogging friends, for taking the time to read this. I know I'm rambling on about my percieved problems, but I hope that your day went a hell of a lot better than mine. I hope that you were better at being respectful and non-angry at others who irritate you than I was today. But most of all, I hope that we each get better at thinking less of our own wants and desires and more about others needs.

9 comments:

Brosreview said...

I get your point, agree to it too. But, I reckon we need to first establish and differentiate needs from wants. Often, we misunderstand the magnitude of difference.

Pertaining to your logic, if everyone in this world stayed away from being selfish, then I believe everyone's needs could be fulfilled. But, is that realistically possible? Frankly, sadly, no.

As you rightly said, it is a fairy tale thought!

Having written this, I reckon whatever that "some things" we "need" is at least remotely affiliated to someone close to us, isn't it? So, even if you are being selfish, it might be for the right reasons.

Pardon me for rambling!

Rikkij said...

April- now I have to be honest. If every one around me has great things happen and my day is shit, I wish I could say I'm thrilled for them but the truth is there is at least a little of, "hey, where's mine?" Damn, I hate bein honest. Let's have some guilty pleasures tomorrow! ~rick

Cherie/ Butterfly Dreamer said...

Hang in there sweetie , you are only human. *hugs*

Shadow said...

just one good thing... makes me think about the whole 'plan'. change just one little thing now, and the whole end result changes too. maybe that's why we need to patiently wait for our turn??? just in case you need this one not-good thing so you can handle something further down the line??? this is deep.....

findingmywingsinlife said...

BR,

I don't think you're rambling :)

I think you've got some good points on here and it is nice to see that someone else gets my way of thinking!

Rikkij,
There's nothing wrong with being honest- I like it when people say it like it is and truthfully it is those exact sentiments that I struggle with inside myself sometimes.

Cherie,
Thank you, good to see you here!

Shadow,
It was great to read your comment, made me feel like I'm really not the only one who thinks about these things.

Syd said...

I actually have had to move from thinking about what others want and keep the focus on me. As a codie, I've spent a lot of time doing for others, thinking and even obsessing about others. Now it's time for me.

Triana said...

Is this why you wanted an Apple Bees PM? Hmmm... sorry I missed the occasion to provide a needed shoulder.

You'll be relieved to know that my plans for this week have all been disrupted. James missed his flight in from Houston, so no date tonight. I cancelled on Brian for Wednesday, some issues. Thursday was supposed to be meeting up w/Shawn, but I believe I'm nixing that as well because of his intentions. And after Sunday night's flipping ordeal, Friday's deal is cancelled as well. Geesh! A clear plate :)

Friend time!! Cross your fingers that my truck is fixed tomorrow night as planned!

Rab said...

It's not selfish to acknowledge our own needs and desires. Only after fulfilling some of those needs are we in a position to help others. Doing something for yourself, or speaking up for yourself, can ultimately be a generous act.

findingmywingsinlife said...

Syd,
I'm getting to that point, just not quite there yet. I think I worry too much about others sometimes.

Triana,
Yeah, but its cool. I've since survived as you can see.

Sorry your plans didn't pan out, but maybe thats a good thing (only my opinion, not neccessarily fact)

Rab,
Yes, I ponder that thought as well.

I do think though, that BR made an excellent point in that we first must know what our "needs" are rather than our "wants".