Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Did you find your Wings?




I'm learning to balance my life. But I'm not perfect at it I assure you. I'm a work aholic so this is a little difficult for me to do. And while I don't think I've neccessarily found my wings in life so to speak, I do think that I'm on a better path than I was a year ago. I am learning to not only dream, but also to use my own two hands to make those dreams and passions realities.

Currently, I am pleased to say that one of the projects I'm working on is not neccessarily work related. I discovered though, that just like I am slow at writing in my novels due to the constant need to be attentive to all the details- I am also slow at putting together an outline that details this project because I'm putting a lot of thought into it.

My brain is continually asking what's the best way to do this, what things am I not looking at, how much monetary support will this take and what kind of budget should I be trying to realistically put together, who will manage it, how will we ensure that it will be successful, Do we need to start a team meeting of some sort to start the framework for this project, how do we realistically do that, and so on and so forth.

I've started to realize that one problem I need to overcome is my need to have every detail planned out and mapped. I have a hunch that this project is going to require some acknowledgement that at some point we are just going to have to give it a go and see what happens. But that is not until we at least have an agreed upon framework for how we want to present and implement this project idea. I will spill the details about the project once we've got it underway (which might take a lot of time), but I gotta tell you I'm really excited about it!


In other news, I've picked up two random books today at the Library. They are:




And




I'll let you know in a couple of days or so how these go. They look very interesting and thought provoking.

9 comments:

Laelah said...

Not yet but I'm working on it. :)

While you deal with having everything planned out I have to deal with this blasted perfectionist side of me that can be misleading, too realistic, too unrealistic, or a terrible mixture of both... I find it humorously ironic that I'm a Libra.

Rikkij said...

April- I've noticed you're happiest when your busy and involved. It's a good thing to have, I think. ~rick

Shadow said...

i'm a planner too, but sometimes it's totally okay to dive in, take a calculated (well, not really, heee heee heee) risk and see what happens.... somehow, with your determination, i'm sure the end result will be just right. good luck.

Syd said...

I used to plan everything. I still do a bit of planning but play things more "by ear" now. It's more of a laissez-faire attitude. I like the new me....less intense, more open to possibilities, more accepting, more joyful.

findingmywingsinlife said...

Laelah,
I plan, but not the way most people would. I can plan way down the road much better than I can the day to day things. Drives a lot of people who know me insane! In fact its difficult for me to try to plan in details. Hoewever, I would say that when I really want something to turn out well, I try to plan it out as thoroughly as possible- and then, like you, my perfectionism gets in the way sometimes.

Rikkij,
You are correct on that. It is something that I've noticed as well, but I also know that I will bury myself in projects and what nots just to avoid other things I don't want to deal with in life. So, I have to learn balance and learn to deal with the things that I'd rather not.

Shadow,
Thanks, I'm hoping you're right about that. I'd really like to see this project take off with a lot of good things following it.

Syd,
If I'm doing something for others, I try to plan it out so that it works out well. But, if I'm doing it for me, I kind of like the whole doing what I want when I want, play it by ear sort of thing. Which may be why I prefer to be alone alot come to think of it.

findingmywingsinlife said...

Oh, and by the way Laelah-
You may find it humorously ironic on being a Libra, but try being a Taurus who is terribly stubborn and independent.

Spellbound said...

I just realized this week that I had not read a book all the way through since I was promoted at work. I need to sort out my priorities again it seems.

findingmywingsinlife said...

Spellbound,
I find that I have to squeeze in 5 mins here or a few minutes there to get books read..but I do it though. I would love to be free enough to just read a book straight through in one day again though. Books for me are like putting a kid in a candy store, sometimes you just can't get enough!

Deedee said...

The Wally Lamb book was great. I read it a few years ago. I think you will like it. Let us know about the other one. Best of luck with your project!