Thursday, June 4, 2009

Dear World:

I've just gotten back into my area, finally responded to the comments on a few of my posts, and now I'm trying to find the words that sum up my thoughts for today.

I've been in Bloomington (that's the southern end of Indiana), Lafayette(mid-west section), and now today was spent in Gary, Indiana. Did you know that Gary, Indiana used to be considered the #1 murder capital of the U.S. nation? Now, it ranks in the 3rd or 4th category..I think.

But, if you ever have the opportunity to drive through the town, you can see why. The town has severe economic issues, you see people walking around- but it has the feel of a ghost town. Run down buildings everywhere, abandoned lots, cars on the road that date back to the 80's, used and abused-just like the people who drive them.

The sad thing is you can feel that this once was a town full of pride, full of dignity and honor. A place where families were once raised and a place where dreams once happened. They have since lost much of their economic status, and much of it was gone overnight it seemed. But that was years ago, and it never really recovered. The strife and oppression that exists there lends its hands to the violence in the home and on the streets, which lends its hand to an unstable and uneducated work-force, which in turn continues the viscious cycle.

It shows that people without hope in their hearts and minds are people without a belief that they will get anywhere. They become a people without the faith in themselves neccessary to believe that it is indeed their own two hands that can change their world.

I know that in the end the way we treat others,the way we view the possibilites of what can and can't be done are the very things that need changed to make places like this once prideful town thrive again, but I wonder did anyone bother to tell the rest of the world that they have the power to change things with their own two hands too?

Well, if not, I am. This is me world, saying take a look around you- there is always something you can do to make a difference.

life isn't worth living if you don't make it worth while to live in.

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Amen to that, April. Very well said.xx♥

Shadow said...

it's sad to see once beautiful things, getting neglected, broken, torn apart. and only we can ever change that...

Fantastic Forrest said...

Hear, hear! Hopeful sentiments.

This reminds me somewhat of the book review of Hearts and Minds on the blog From the Desk of Bee Drunken. You should check it out! I think you'd like her thoughtful writing.

Rebekah Cadman said...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Rikkij said...

April-I was just telling my family today about Gary- It's like Chicago shit it out. I had to deliver there awhile ago and the destination wouldn't give me directions until sunrise so I wouldn't come in and be killed. Yikes! ~rick

findingmywingsinlife said...

Natalie,
Thank You!!

Shadow,
Yes, I agree it is a sad thing to see.

Fantastic Forrest,
Good to see you again! and thank you, will check it out here a bit later.

Rebekah Cadman,
Thank you! Its always nice to see a new face around here, feel free to stop by anytime you like.

Rikkij,
Ah, then you know exactly what I'm referring too when I speak of Gary, In. Just so you know, I did a little research and found that I was wrong- Gary, In. isn't 3rd or 4th anymore, but it is now 7th in the U.S. Maybe that's a sign of things slowly getting better in that area???

Oh and I also stated my mother's age wrong on your page, she's only 47 not 48. I get things mixed up sometimes.