Saturday, May 30, 2009

Critical Decisions

I've made a lot of critical decisions in the last few months, some I've shared and some I haven't. But one of the most important decisions I've just made is the one about how to go about publishing my books.
I want to self publish, well quite frankly I'm actually more ambitious than that even- I'd rather own my own publishing company, a goal that I've expressed to Clay and Triana many times. But, I'm also a realistic person, or at least I think I am. The capital required for such a start up investment and the marketing efforts, not to mention the contracts with different book store chains that would be neccessary, are more than one or even two people could feasibly make work on a large scale without any prior knowledge or expertise in the area. And let's face it, I tend to dream big, REALLY BIG.
Soooo, the best option after careful researching over the last 6 months or so is to find a literary agent. I assume this is going to be a long process or that maybe my work is not what's marketable right now, but I also know that the worst anyone has ever said to me is NO, and no doesn't neccessarily mean never.
I also must confess, I'm not entirely sure my work is good enough for wide publications. But, I'm determined to try. Writing is all I want to do and I have so many ideas, thoughts, and different book ideas. There is so much creativity floating in me that wants to be put on paper, that I sincerely wish that I could quit my jobs and spend all that time writing- even though I know how slow I can be at it sometimes.
I am constantly thinking about what could be done to improve my novels, what could be tweaked? Is there anything that should really just be thrown out or any major revisions needed to really grab the readers attention?
So, knowing that I don't have the luxury of writing full time, I'm making a conscious effort to spend a little bit of time everyday on my writings- either adding chapters or reworking the ones I have until I feel like I have a solid novel that will be presentable and marketable. 12 book ideas roughly sketched out, partially worked, or halfway finished just isn't good enough ( I do honestly have 2 books nearly complete, but I'm positive I need to make several revisions to them before they are truly ready). I need substance worth presenting.
The bottom line is that if I'm going to tell everyone that pursuing dreams are worth the hard work and effort, then shouldn't I truly get on with pursuing mine as well? Just because I work two jobs or that I have other personal issues going on shouldn't be any excuse, I need to make this happen, besides I want you to be able to own a copy of my work some day since you all seem to think reading my blog is worth your efforts, and for that I truly thank you. Blogging has really helped me in ways even I didn't realize until recently.

I will do this no matter what it takes or how long it takes.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

One step at a time, April. You have a lot on your plate.
There is NO doubt in my mind that you should publish, you writing is WONDERFUL, but, as you said, you have a LOT going on.xx♥

Shadow said...

good luck honey. i certainly like your work enough to read it in print.

Rikkij said...

April-what they said. Keep the dream alive. ~rick