Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Storm

A tornado came through here today.

Yes, I'm fine and so are the kids. I wasn't home when it hit, I was in Fort Wayne getting dinner for them. As I stood in the doorway of the mall (where their favorite chicken Teriaki is) and watched the rain coming down, pouring buckets of water, I remembered a poem I read once. It was about the neccessity of "Rain" to wash away many things. It was this thought on top of another comment that had been made to me that made me decide to walk, not run, through the rain to my vehicle.

I was soaked clear through to the bone by the time I made it to my van, but it was worth every minute of it. It reminded me that I still had the strength in me to get through this ordeal and that in the end, I will still be me and a little wiser for it.

The sun shone awfully brightly as I realized that my life will go on and that I am strong enough to pick up the pieces of me.

6 comments:

Triana said...

Ha ha! The comment wasn't to make you feel bad, simply to demonstrate the differences between us. When I was talking about playing ball in the rain I meant barefoot, in the summer when you can wear shorts & tank top, soaking wet, trying to shake the water from your eyes to make the next basket, chucking the ball towards the hoop as the rain pours down endlessly... when no one else would dare be on the court. I only said it b/c basketball is not your thing, it's not your passion like it is mine. I never meant that you wouldn't play ball or that you wouldn't play in the rain :) I'm glad you found the urge to take the time & enjoy the washing away of the rain, but next time pick a warmer shower!

Natalie said...

Very good thought, April. Rain is magnificent for washing away.....

Nick James said...

The rain washes away things that need to be gone, and the wind blows away the pieces you dont need. After the strom has passed, you will shine brighter than ever. Shine on my friend, you are a ray of light that lights the world!

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Glad you're all fine - Rain refreshes the earth somewhat, doesn't it, even when it can also sometimes bring disruption and flood - It is nature in all her glory. Take care!

Shadow said...

wow, i'm glad you're all okay... and rain has always been a good omen in my mind.

Breeze said...

How very beautiful. I wrote about the rain last week, echoing almost exactly what you are saying.

I find the rain cleansing however before it does its work sometimes it makes things a little muddy.

I'm glad you are ok.

Breeze