Friday, March 13, 2009

The Raven and Me

This morning while I was in a board meeting, I looked out the window and saw a Raven peering in at me with an inquisitive look. It was very beautiful, with its dark black feathers catching the sunlight just right to reveal the blue hue that they can sometimes cast. If a bird is able to communicate, then surely this bird was trying to do so. He looked at me as though trying to measure my character, to decide something about me, but what that something was I have no idea.

I find it interesting that this happened. A reader being read by the Raven...

6 comments:

Natalie said...

What do you think he saw, April? Did you read him reading you? xx

Shadow said...

wow, spooky and beautiful....

Lyn said...

That is a transcendant experience!
As Poe wrote..."spoke the Raven, nevermore"....

Barry said...

I'm bouncing over from Clay's blog to visit yours for the first time.

Scientists have long under appreciated the intelligence of other animals. I was reading the other day about a chimp who planned ahead, gathering stones to throw at visitor to the zoo where he was held captive.

Your experience with the raven suggests we are also not the only specie who judge.

Deedee said...

Wow, I didn't know there were ravens in the USA, other than maybe Alaska! I wish we had them here in Massachusetts. I'd love to see one. We just have the common crow, but I love them too.

findingmywingsinlife said...

Natalie,
You are very intuitive.

Shadow,
I hadn't thought it spooky, but everyone has different things that would make them feel that way. And yes, it was beautiful in the gives you food for thought way.

Lyn,
Trascendant experience? Maybe, I don't really know for sure though.

No offense, but I don't know how I feel about the reference to Poe, he was one very depressed individual. Melancholy followed him everywhere..

Barry,
Ah a splendid point. I believe you are correct, I don't we humans are the only ones who measure things either.

Deedee,
My apologies, around here Raven and Crow means pretty much the same thing. I didn't think to make the clarification, but you are correct they are two different species.