Monday, January 26, 2009

Strange callings

I have been diligently working on my book and feeling frustrated with it. A couple of days ago I thought to myself "I need some help with this, someone to talk it out with ,test out my ideas and help me to put onto paper what's in my head" and do you know what got stuck in my head next???

New York.

New York??? I don't know anyone in New York! Let alone ever been there...and what does that have to do with my book? My book is fiction, doesn't exist except in my head-and I'm having a hard time getting it out of there... I know what happens, the beginnings are for the most part written down and I know how it ends- its the damn middle that's frustrating me. (sorry for the foul language, not normally in my vocabulary)
I wonder why I keep thinking of this. Hmmm...

2 comments:

Dawn Colclasure said...

Quite possibly, the answer you seek may be found by someone living in New York. Try networking with writers and see what that turns up. You just may befriend a New York-based novelist who could help you out. :)

Middles are definitely hard to get through. Good luck with your book.

Lynette said...

I have the very great advantage of the fact that much of my story has already been told by history. Being an historical fiction, I just fill in the middle with the juicy stuff. However, my challenge is the fact that my book is set in late 18th century Europe with all of its language constraints, social protocols, and formality.

It seems all writers have challenges, no matter what they write. Good luck to you!