Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I dropped my heart...

on the floor. Literally it seemed. I almost cried as I realized that 2 1/2 years of diligent work on my book was nearly destroyed-on accident- by my boss's inatentiveness to what he was doing. I was working in the office, on both my desktop computer and the laptop. I had my jump drive (flash drive, memory stick, etc.) plugged in to the laptop. My boss came in to see what was on the desktop and to help me upload some software we needed. In the process he felt my laptop was in the way(it was on the other part of my desk, away from where we were working) and he moved it rather haphazardly and bam! I realized suddenly that he had in the process smashed my little stick into pieces and that they had fallen onto the floor. All that was left was a green board sticking out from the port.
Like I said, I dropped my heart or rather it stopped instantaneously right then and there. There were no words I could utter out of my mouth that would have expressed my sheer horror at the thought of losing so much work. The poor man couldn't even dechiper the look on my face, he was lost as to what it was he had done (he's absentminded more so than me).

His solution? piece it back together and wrap it up with duck tape.....right like that's going to work.

Lucky for me I was able to salvage everything and save it all on the laptop before trying to remove the lifeless green stick.

4 comments:

Leon Basin said...

I am sorry to hear this. Hope you feel better.

Lynette said...

OMG! My heart would have been in my throat! I'm so glad you were able to save it!

Colonel Brandon said...

Ms. Findingmywingsinlife,

I have found no little difficulty on more than one occasion with the electrical apparatus one is faced herein to publish one's commentaries. Indeed, most vexing, at the times one least requires it be so, compound'd too by recondite questions that ask one to type in most veraciously the letters of randomly composed & nonsensical words!

I am, &c.
Colonel Brandon.
Nature Diary

findingmywingsinlife said...

You'll all be happy to know that I recovered from my heart stopping moment. I have since learned the value of backups and remembering to do them!