Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My List

In recent conversations with a friend of mine, we have been discussing the New Year's thing. She likes the idea of a New Years resolution, whereas I, have never bothered- not even tried to come up with one. I just never really cared for the idea because it implies (to me anyway) that no one will really keep it anyway- so why not lie to each other and pretend its ok. In case you couldn't tell, I prefer the truth of things- no matter how ugly it might be.
During our conversation I did share with her something else that I intend to do, but its more long term. I have a list of people in my head that I'd like to get to the opportunity to meet someday, preferably, while I'm still of sound mind. I dont want to just meet and say "Hey. How's it going." I want to be able to pick their brains and have normal everyday conversations with them. I've been thinking this list over for a while now, some are very recent additions and some have inspired me for a long time. Each has my personal reason as to why I'd like to meet them. And as I promised to my fellow friends below is some of the people on my list and the reasons why:

1. Stephanie Meyer, Author of the Twilight series. I know, I know. Its supposed to be a teenage series, but my sitter told me that they were so good she couldn't put them down. I did it all backwards however and went to see the movie first, to see if it interested me. First off- I'm not the chick flick, romance gushy, touchy feelly type. But, having said that, I did understand the core of the story's appeal. Wouldn't we all like to have that impossible fairy tale?
What made me want to meet her was at the back of the one the books ( she is also a fan of Blue October) and the fact that "Breaking Dawn" took me by suprise. My own creativity was rekindled further along by her inventive writing. If anything, I'd like to tell her in person Thank you for sharing your imagination with us.

2. Katie Couric, News Anchor. No, its not about the news. Its more to do with an interview I read about her. Someone had asked her about her late husband's passing and how he must've led a good long life. Her response had been something along the line of, "I get angry when people say that. He was 40 some years old and died of colon cancer- he got the short end of the stick." I guess you could say that it reminded me of how human she really was.

3. Shinedown, the band. Of the recent rock bands to emerge, they top my list as one of the best for more than just because they look good or their because their music is great. Brent the lead singer, not only sings from the soul- but is extremely motivational and inspirational. Go to a concert and listen to what he says in between each song- you'll get what I'm talking about. And from the two minute or less encounter with Zach, it seems the rest of the band is truly down to earth. I would love to sit a just talk with these guys.

4. The Hoyt Team. Probably not as well known to people, but do a search on them and you'll find one of the most beautiful and heart wrenching stories of a father and son team. I've never known such love or respect could be given to a dad and so I felt strongly that this guy should be commended for setting such a beautiful example of what it means to be a not just a parent, but a dad who had faith in his child and loved him no mattered what.

5. Bon Jovi. I don't have to tell you who he is, but did you know he is an ambassador for Habitat for Humanity? I find that to be one of the most interesting things ever.

6. Hannah Jones. I doubt you know her either, unless you've read the news lately. She's the 13 year old who has refused a heart transplant and won the right to die respectfully at home. Having personally watched my childhood friend, Melissa Pletcher, die several months ago after two heart transplants and several attempts at an artificial heart (the first transplant was age 22 and she died at age 27)- I understand how this little girl could come to the conclusion she has.

7. Tony Dungy. Let me clarify one thing, I am not in any way, shape, or form interested in sports. I never have been. But I do like to read and what I've read about him has made me take a double take. He's taken his life's adversity and struggles and met them head on. To me that takes a inner strength that most don't have and I find that worthy of admiration.

8. M. Night Shyalaman. I don't like all of his films, but I do like the ideas he's trying for. I think for me, I just want to meet him to get a better understanding of what he's thinking when he does things with his films that don't make any sense to me. I admire the fact the he keeps on trying despite a large amount of criticism being thrown his way.

9. Owen Wilson. This one is simply because my best friend says I'm like him on the rare moment I choose to let out my emotions when I get excited. I think I just want to see if I'm really anything like him or he's anything at all like me. Its simply curiosity that's got me on this one.

10. Michelangelo. But since he's been dead for centuries, I'll settle for seeing the Sistine Chapel. I own a biographical on him and found it fascinating. I also read a recent study someone did of his work at the Sistine Chapel and smiled. He apparently had some not so nice things to say to those in rule and chose to voice opinion (the only way he could have without being killed) via certain things he depicted in his painting.

There are more, but this blog is getting long and I think you get the idea. And in case anyone was wondering, yes, I have met one person on my list and that was the CEO of Habitat International, Johnathon Reckford.

3 comments:

Lynette said...

Really great list! I, too, would love to Michaelangelo, and one day I want to see the Sistine Chapel, as well. I've traveled throughout northern Europe, but I've yet to travel to Italy. It's most certainly on my "Bucket List".

Lynette said...

I meant to say "talk to" Michaelangelo. Still a little fog left in the head from last night's partying...

findingmywingsinlife said...

Thank you. I've never traveled outside of the US, I've got my passport application sitting on my desk waiting to be turned in and there are so many places I'd like to visit... maybe I'll blog about those as well at some point.